Since this past weekend was the Kentucky Derby I think it would be appropriate to remember a family roadtrip we took that included a stop in Louisville, KY and Churchhill Downs.
In Spring of 2004 my Mom, Step-Dad Todd, and sister Audrey moved to Floyd's Knobs, IN due to Todd's job. Floyd's Knobs is just across the Ohio river from Louisville, KY.
In June 2004, my Aunts and Grandma decided to take a roadtrip to visit my Uncle near Boston, MA. In two cars we left Oklahoma and headed for our first stop (besides a fuel or restroom stop), Floyd's Knobs, where we pickuped my Mom and Audrey for the rest of the trip. It was a great trip and I'm glad I went.
Here's some photos from our tour of Louisville. I thought this neon sign was neat, showing the many pronunciations of Louisville.
Here in Tulsa several years ago they had these large penguin statues placed all over the city in celebration of the new penguins at the zoo. Instead of penguins, Louisville has horses since it it the home of the Kentucky Derby. Here's just a couple I caught on camera.
Churchhill Downs where the Kentucky Derby is held.
After a day in Louisville, the ten of us, 7 women, 2 little girls and one lone little boy, headed to Gettysburg, PA. After we checked into our hotel in town we headed out to the Gettysburg Battlefield where one of the best know battles of the Civil War occurred in 1863. Due to the many hours of driving it was approaching sunset when we arrived.
Here is the Penssylvania State Monument at Gettysburg. The monument has the names and sculptures of the generals on the corners and lists names of soldiers that fought in the battle at the base.
The Gettysburg Address delivered by President Abraham Lincoln on November 19, 1863 is located on the monument.
From left to right: Sharlene, Sareca, Zoe, Sarah, Grandma, and Mom.
Me, Seth, Audrey, and Melissa.
One thing I love is a gorgeous sunset. Being at the battlefield at sunset was an eerie yet neat feeling.
After one night in Gettysburg we headed to Massachusets where we spent some time a beach near Gloucester. The beach was crowded eventhough it was foggy, and it was COLD to us Oklahomans! The kids were the only ones that were brave enough to be in their swimsuits (which is typical) while the adults were in sweatshirts.
I love this picture of Audrey and Seth running into the water.
As we were leaving I caught a picture of the fog rolling in over this bay. I thought it was pretty neat. After we headed to Essex Seafood where we had some of the freshest and best seafood.
And onto Boston. I took this picture of the Boston Fire Museum for my Husband.
Boston Harbor, site of the Boston Tea Party on December 16, 1773.
For those of you that don't know my Grandma, she is one of THE BEST women I know. She's very loving, yet strong, and one of the most selfless people I know (in addition to being a fantastic cook). She raised 5 kids as a single mom and gave them everything she had even when she had nothing. To this day at age 78 she still works fulltime, ironically, at a nursing home. I'm so fortunate and happy I was able to take this trip with her. I love you Grandma!

No comments:
Post a Comment