Thursday, May 06, 2010

Tasty Thursday: Chicken and Dumplings

One of the meals I remember my Mom always making while I was growing up was Chicken and Dumplings. It definitely set a high standard of Chicken and Dumplings for me. One day a couple weeks ago I had a craving to make it, so I did. I'm sure I have tweeked it a little from her recipe, but Nic and I really enjoy it.

I started with 4 chicken breasts and placed them in a pot. However, my mom always used a whole chicken if I remember correctly.

I sliced up the vegetables and added the onions to the pot to cook with the chicken.  


I filled the pot with half water and half chicken broth until the chicken was covered, and cook until the chicken is done.


While the chicken is cooking I made the dough for the dumplings. (See the recipe at the end.)


I will note it's not a good idea to measure out the baking powder then pour it in the tub of shortening...like I did!



Mix the dough until it's sticky and set aside.

When the chicken is finished cooking, remove from the pot and set aside to cool. Keep the heat on the stove and add the vegetables and cook until tender, which is probably about 10 minutes.



While the vegetables are cooking tear the chicken into bite sizes pieces.



Bryce's entertainment while Mommy is cooking. He loves his jumperoo!



When the vegetables are tender, drop spoonfuls of the dough into the boiling broth and cook for 5 more minutes.


Add a little pepper and it's ready to serve. Here is the finished product. Yum!

Dumplings
1/3 cup shortening
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Drop dumplings by the spoonful into boiling broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment