Monday, May 03, 2010

Kentucky Derby Party

In 2004 my Mom moved to Floyd's Knob, IN near Louisville, KY. The first year they were there we actually were visiting during the Kentucky Derby Festival.She always liked the Kentucky Derby before moving there but when they moved back to Oklahoma in 2006 she decided to bring some of Floyd's Knobs/Louisville back with them. In addition to a couple tulip trees she dug up and brought back, she has an annual Kentucky Derby Party.

Every year she hosts a party. She has a hat contest, drawing for a small cash prize, and my Stepdad even gets everyones picks and places bets at (un)Fair Meadows here in Tulsa.  She also orders official Kentucky Derby glasses and in them she serves the official Kentucky Derby drink, a mint julip. Everyone gets to take their drink glass home with them. This year was no different instead Mom added door prizes, and prizes for WIN, SHOW, and PLACE tickets that were randomly drawn by each guest.

 Nic, Bryce and I arrived early to help, but with Bryce I'm not sure how much help I was. I did help make the yummy shrimp spread my mom often makes and I had to make a Walmart run, where I got soaked by they rain thanks to my husband!

Here I am feeding Bryce before the party. Kell took the picture so it's a little far back.


Everyone anxiously waiting for the "most exciting two minutes in sports".

Here's an obvious self portait of Nic and I. There was a better one, but some of the purple tule from my hat was covering half of Nic's face. I did win the Hat contest, winning silver cups.

Here I am with my other leading man! He fit so nicely underneath my hat with me!

Nic had placed $40 in bets and I wasn't too happy with him about it, but fortunately he won on a couple of his tickets. He had bet on the #4-Super Saver to win, and he had a bet on an exacta box with #4-Super Saver, 2-Ice Box, and 10 . He was close on that one, with the results being 2, 4,  12. But since he had the top two horses he won on that one too! So thankfully he got his money back and then some.

Okay I know this picture is bad, but it's just too funny not to post. I will note that we DID NOT allow Bryce to even put his mouth on the bottle. He's at that stage where he grabs EVERYTHING and tries to mouth it , whether it's my glass of water, his shampoo bottle, or a bottle of ketchup.


While we were at the Kentucky Derby Bryce decided to show me that he could roll from his back to his tummy, and he did it so effortlessly that I know he's been capable. Little stinker!


Here's a couple of random photos.

This first one is apparently how my mom takes her two grandsons on walks. Kell stands in the bottom basket in the stroller. Surprisingly it's sturdy and does not tip, but I still stressed to my Mom to please not let go of it when they are like this. Sometime in the future Bryce will be big enough to ride in the wagon with Kell and avoid this altogether.


Bryce just hanging out with his boppy. He wiggles out of it most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment