Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday Memory: Our first cruise

WARNING: This is going to be a VERY picture heavy post.

In November 2006, Nic and I flew to Ft Lauderdale and boarded Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Sea for our first cruise. Since it was our first cruise we decided to just take a 5 nighter in the event we didn't enjoy it. We did a Western Caribbean itinerary where our ports of call were Ocho Rios, Jamaica and Grand Cayman. We did love it and have taken several cruises since.

Here is our tiny inside stateroom. This was the only time we had an inside room.



Sailing away from Ft Lauderdale.



Sailing around Cuba

Our first day was a sea day, and we spent the day exploring the ship and enjoying all the activities there were. Here Nic is on the rock climbing wall.



The first sea day was also formal night. Here we are enjoying dinner and trying out escargot for the first time. YUMMY! We were seated with 2 other couples: Lissette and Steve, Paola and Miguel. We couldn't have been seated with any better people, they were so much fun.


One thing I love about Royal Caribbean is their cute towel animals!


Our first stop was Ocho Rios, Jamaica. I had previously arranged a tour with Marva from Knowjamaica.com. Lissette and Steve decided to join us on this tour.



Marva met us at the pier and took us to our first stop: Dunn's River Fall. Here is where the river pours into the Caribbean Sea.


Here's Nic and I at the bottom before we started the climb.

Part of the falls.

Here's a lookout point that Marva stopped at that allowed us to get a great shot of our ship.

From there, Marva took us to a place for lunch so we could have real Jamaican Jerk chicken and the traditional sides. Then we did a relaxing float down the white river.

We had a wonderful time with Marva and thoroughly enjoyed our day in Ocho Rios.
Below is the towel animal from our day in Jamaica.

Our next stop was Grand Cayman. We chose to do the Rays, Reef and Rum Point Excursion with Native Way Watersports. Once again Lissette and Steve chose to go on this excursion with us.

Our first stop on the excursion was the reef. One of the guides dove down and brought up this starfish. Then we proceeded to go snorkeling.

Here we are at the reef.  One of the guides was feeding squid to a friendly nurse shark. I even 'pet' the friendly nurse shark...felt like sand paper.

Here is a green moray eel that was coaxed out of his hole. This I did NOT pet!

Here Nic and I are 'holding' a female stingray at "Sting Ray City". We even kissed it for 7 years of good luck. Since that was November 2006 we have until November 2013 before we need to get a refill. 

Underwater shot of stingray.  

Awesome view.

Nic & I on the boat. Nic isn't too fond of the underwater creatures and the saltwater, so he was the first person back on the boat. Atleast he does participate some.

Here' a view of Rum Point. After snorkeling and playing with the sting rays, we were taken to Rum Point where we enjoye

Our GC towel animal

Our final night.

Our final towel animal.



When we got off the ship I had arranged an airboat tour in the Everglades since our flight wasn't until later that afternoon, however that excursion was cancelled. Since Lissette and Steve lived in Florida and they offered to give us a tour of Ft Lauderdale, they even treated us to a wonderful lunch, and dropped us off at the airport in time to catch our flight. Nic and I were so lucky to have met such nice people.

Here's Nic and I in front of the Atlantic Ocean on Ft Lauderdale Beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment