Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tasty Thursday: Lemon Pepper Shrimp Skewers

My goodness this week has flown by! I'll do a quick Tasty Thursday then I'll post some on my favorite subject: Bryce.




Last Friday during my lunch I visited our friend that works in the meat department at the Food Pyramid just a mile or so from my office. There I purchased 2 lbs of large shrimp for Friday night and a couple of Ribeye steaks for Saturday night, and of course some other things.




Friday evening as soon as I got off work, I loaded up my groceries and went to pickup Bryce and Fara (the dog) from my Mom's. Forty minutes later we're at the lake in our travel trailer preparing our Shrimp Skewers. I don't really have a recipe its just something I throw together.




First I began by soaking a handful of bamboo skewers in water. Doing this keeps the wooden skewers from burning and/or catching fire. At this time Nic was also busy getting the grill fired up. We use good ol' Kingsford charcoal, no propane grill here!




While the skewers soaked, I cut up a couple yellow squash, a zuchini, and an onion. While I was cutting the veggies, Nic was busy peeling the 2 lbs of shrimp. Since Bryce was born, dinner has became a teamwork effort.




Once the shrimp was peeled, I tossed them in some extra virgin olive oil until well coated. Then I sprinkled some lemon pepper over the shrimp and tossed again.




I then began loading up our skewers in no particular order, I did try to atleast have a piece of onion next to every shrimp. Once the skewers were loaded I did one more sprinkle of lemon pepper before we placed them over a hot grill.




Unfortunately I was in a hurry so I didn't take the time to take many pictures. But here is a picture of the skewers just shortly after they were placed on the grill.


Nic tended to the grill, turning and rotating the skewers to make sure they were all cooking evenly. The total cook time was probably around 15 minutes. It probably wouldn't have taken so long if Nic had realized we were going to need the full 'surface' of the grill and had put charcoal accordingly (rather than just on one side, hence the need to rotate).




Here's the finished product.







Despite being 2 lbs of shrimp, the two of us (with Bryce eyeballing us) devoured every bit of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment