Thursday, June 03, 2010

Tasty Thursday: Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes

This year when I was planning out what I was going to make for our Valentine's Dinner, I searched high and low for an easy recipe for a molten chocolate cake. As it turned out I found a recipe that seemed quick and easy on the Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen.

Unfortunately this recipe is a little TOO easy, as anytime I have a craving for these little yummy cakes I just whip them up. So here's how to make them. I half the recipe to help me control myself. The full recipe including the link to the Pioneer Woman's website will be at the end.

I started by preparing my custard cup by spraying them with Pam and set aside.



Then I placed a couple Baker's Semi-sweet baking chocolate squares and butter in a glass  bowl.

I place the bowl in the microwave and cook for 1 minute or until the butter and chocolate are melted.


Mix well. Technically you're supposed to be whisking, I forgot this detail...at least it turned out alright.


Then I add powdered sugar and mix.


I then added a whole egg and an egg yolk to the mixture and mix again.


Then add the flour and mix well.


Then divide the gooey batter between the custard cups.


Next place the custard cups on a cookie sheet and bake in an oven preheated 425 degrees for about 13 minutes.


While the cakes are baking, prepare the whipped cream. Making real whipped cream is so much easier than I ever imagined...and so much better than cool whip.


I pour some heavy whipping cream in a bowl and add some sugar. 


Whip/beat with a mixer until it stiffens.


After about 13 minutes remove the cakes from the oven, and let them sit for 1 minute. Allowing them to bake or sit too long can cook the cakes too much and they will not have the gooey center.


Carefully flip the cakes over onto a plate and add some whipped cream.


Enjoy!



For 4 servings

4 pieces semi-sweet baking chocolate
1/2 cup of butter
1 cup of powdered sugar
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
6 Tablespoons of flour
2 cups Real Whipping Cream
2 Tablespoons sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Spray 4 custard cups with Pam and place on a cookie sheet.

Microwave chocolate and butter in a large bowl on high for about 1 minute, until butter is melted. Whisk until chocolate is also melted.

Stir in sugar until well blended. Whisk in eggs and egg yolks. Stir in flour.

Divide between cups.

Bake 13-14 minutes until sides are firm and center is soft. Let stand 1 minute.

Combine sugar adn heavy cream and whip until stiff.

Invert cakes on dishes and top with whipped cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment