I realize I haven't posted a Tasty Thursday in some time. I had a few extremely ripe bananas that needed to be used so last night I whipped up some Banana Nut Bread. The best part is I remembered to take some pictures so I could post it. I didn't get pictures of every step as I did find myself getting in a hurry, but I did get some. Most importantly I got a picture of the finished product.
I have searched high and low for a good Banana Nut Bread recipe, aside from getting my Grandma's...which can be quite challenging as she doesn't actually measure her recipes, but eyeballs them. This by far has been the best I have found.
First start by combining sour cream and baking soda. Set aside. It will become a little frothy.
In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar together. Then add eggs, mashed up bananas, and the sour cream mixture. Mix well.
Then sift in the flour and baking powder and mix.
Add chopped nuts, pecans or walnuts. I prefer pecans.
Pour into a greased large loaf pan (or two smaller loaf pans). Bake for about an hour.
When a toothpick (or knife) inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean, then it's ready. Remove from the loaf pan and cool on a wire cooling rack.
When cool, wrap in aluminum foil and leave for several hours or overnight. Trust me this is a pretty vital step as the flavor will be so much better. The next day the bread will be ready to be devoured. YUM!
Banana Nut Bread
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas - about 2 (I use 3)
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9x5 inch loaf pan. Combine sour cream and baking soda in a small bowl. Using a mixer, cream butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat in eggs, bananas and sour cream mixture. Sift in flour and baking powder. Stir in nuts. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean or until loaf is golden brwon, about 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes. Put loaf on cooling rack. When cool, wrap in aluminum foil for several hours.

Laura - Thank you so much for posting these recipes! I actually made the banana bread last night since we had a lot of really ripe bananas at work. It was a huge hit! It has such good flavor, thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDelete