Monday, July 30, 2012

Returning to Normality

Last Thursday I took the final exam for my very last undergraduate class! That’s right…I am now the proud owner of a Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting! After I made it home that evening, Nic stated that now everything can go back to “normal”.

Normal…well what is normal?!?

I often wonder the same when they the outside temperatures are above normal. Well after several years of being above normal and breaking records, wouldn’t you think the normal temperatures might have changed if we’re constantly higher than it is?

I just don’t know what normal is for us because in the last four years one major life change after another has occurred. Prior to 2009, normal is definitely different than what could now be normal.

In the Spring of 2009 we found out we were going to have a baby. I had to change and sacrifice a few things to make sure we brought a healthy baby into this world. You know trade Ibuprofen for Tylenol and give-up those occasional margaritas!


In November 2009 that precious, healthy baby boy was born. Since then I have rarely slept an entire night through; and now instead of going out dancing with our friends on a Friday or Saturday evening, I prefer spending those evenings with my husband and child whether we’re at home, at the lake, or barbequing with our friends.


Then for 9 months I continued some of my sacrifices while I provided the only nourishment that child needed. I know the ol’ pump and dump routine, but to me that stuff what just too valuable to waste!

In August of 2010 I transferred my college credits to a 4-year school and began my quest for a Bachelor’s degree. This is where the routine of evening classes began since NSU offered very little as online classes.

In October 2010 I left my job of 6 years in the insurance industry to begin an accounting job that dealt with property taxes in the oil and gas industry. At this point, the chance I took in applying for this position is one of the best decisions I have ever made for myself and my family.

Late nights with homework and studying, as well as evenings sitting in class became the norm. I don’t know how many nights I stayed up after Bryce was in bed so that I could do my homework without taking away any additional time for him. Then he started staying up later so I had to juggle my studying and homework while he was awake or squeeze it in on the weekends when he was napping.



So now that is all behind us, we’ll have to establish a new normal which hopefully will include a little exercise on my part, more reading to Bryce, and hopefully get a more structured routine established that includes an earlier bedtime!

Speaking of change and what is soon sure to become normal…in the course of 15-30 minutes I lost my “baby” as a result of his second hair cut. This time he got a big boy cut and definitely lost his baby look…as well as his girly look! I guess I better get used to it!



No comments:

Post a Comment