Okay, so we actually were able to celebrate Independence Day a little more than planned. On Tuesday night we went and watched a show put on in a small town near us. The show was impressive but it was a madhouse trying to get into the town. I think the town population multiplied tenfold that night!
We ended up doing a circle around the town, venturing through some back roads we had never been on, and decided to just park and watch from a distance. Next year if we choose to watch this show again, we'll definitely plan a little better! Unfortunately, I was too busy keeping an eye on Bryce to catch any great shots from this show.
For the actual day, we went over to my Mom's where they grilled some burgers and brats...what else would you expect?! For the first time in a very long time I did buy some fireworks. Thankfully the stuff that's appropriate for Bryce are pretty inexpensive, so I don't get as bad of a feeling of my money going up in smoke! He LOVED the little snappers, the things that you just throw on the ground and they pop.
Also the smoke bombs created a few wonderful smiles of excitement!
Then when it got dark, he became more interested in the fireworks that the big kids had, rather than his dinky little fountains! He decided he wanted to shoot a roman candle!
Roman candles are one my most feared fireworks for some reason. I don't know if it's the fact that they are handheld and run the risk of blowing up in your hand or shooting out the wrong end...or if I just have traumatic memories of the roman candle fights I witnessed in the corn fields when I was younger. Needles to say I swallowed those fears and let my son experience a little risk with the help of the big kids.
Of course he had to hold a sparkler...that's like fireworks with training wheels! Here we have the world's longest sparkler!
Of course I'm sure I can be nominated as the world's worst Mom for the lack of shoes on my child's feet. I know shame on me...too bad shoes aren't harder for him to take off!

No comments:
Post a Comment