Tuesday, November 30, 2010

As promised...our first "family vacation" review. Better late, than never.

At around 4:00am Saturday November 6th, we loaded up in my Pathfinder and headed to the airport to catch our 6:10am flight. After a short stop in Houston, around 10:15am we landed, albiet a rough landing,  in 15 knot winds on our beloved island of Cozumel!

It was my 8th trip to the island. Since I had a short visit when I was early in my pregnancy we counted Bryce as being there for his 2nd trip ; ). As mentioned in an earlier post we stayed at El Cozumeleno. I'm not a really big fan of the All-Inclusive resorts, I don't really care to eat my meals off of a buffet but I find that they are a little more relaxing. I can't make myself eat every meal at the resort, but we did manage to eat at least 2 of out 3 meals every day.

Despite getting to the hotel at 11:30am, two of our three rooms were ready. After doing some unpacking, we changed into our swimsuits, ate some lunch, and were ready for some sun.

Instead of sunshine, it was cloudy and windy...not my ideal beach vacation weather. Apparently a cool front had just came through, a "norte" as they call it, and usually lasts a few days. Oh well we made the most of it.



We decided to eat at the hotel restaurant that night for dinner and the food turned out to be really good.





The next day was Sunday. The sun made an appearance, but the wind remained. While waiting for the rest of our group to arrive we watched some kiteboarders take full advantage of the wind.


 It looks like so much fun when they catch a wave a fly up into the air.

We spent a little time on the beach, relaxing.


Our final two traveling companions made their appearance around 3pm.

That evening we ventured out to town, to eat as Casa Denis and enjoy the local Sunday Fiesta. We were disappointed to find that Casa Denis wasn't open, so plan B: Plaza Leza. I had forgotton how great the beef tacos were there! YUMMY!



 Enjoying some songs from a local singer.

Bryce tried on a sombrero.

Monday the weather definitely improved and we took full advantage of it, enjoying Miami Vices and Blue Hawaiins by the pool.

That evening we watched the awesome sunste before we ventured into town to eat at my favorite restaurant, Especias.




Bryce got to meet the owner of Especias, Adrian who always greets us with a hug!



Back in April of 2009 we had quite the memorial night with Adrian. I did not partake in any of the Don Julio activities, but it was still quite enjoyable for my pregnant self.

Tuesday morning half of our group went snorkeling on a tour with Roswitha Flury. In 2007 I had did a snorkel tour with her and enjoyed it.













After snorkeling we returned to the hotel, played bingo and lounged by the pool. Real exciting stuff! That evening we had dinner at the hotel restaurant and once again were pleased with the meal.

Wednesday morning we negotiated a price with a taxi driver to take us around the island to the east side. The east side of Cozumel is primarily undeveloped aside from a few beach bars/grills and one wind powered hotel.

First stop was Mezcalitos. Where most of us enjoyed small but strong margaritas.





.
Our next stop was Coconut's, where we once again enjoyed margaritas...and lunch too!






Our last stop was Paradise...Rastas...er maybe the Bob Marley Bar...I don't know I can't every get that last one strait!








After returning to the hotel we spent the rest of the afternoon laying by the pool.



Nic and John participated in a horse shoe tournament and won!



That night we had dinner at the hotel again. We did learn not to order the mahi mahi...well one of us did!

Thursday was our last full day! Usually by this point in the vacation I'm ready to go home, but it just went by way to fast. I think I could have stayed another week. Since it was our last full day we spent it doing absolutely nothing!


That evening we had dinner in town at Casa Denis's, where we tried to have dinner on Sunday night. No one was disappointed!


Food was great and everyone (except me) enjoyed a celebratory shot of tequila!



Bryce kept himself entertained by playing peak a boo with the table cloth. 




Upon our return to the hotel, I put Bryce to bed and Nic's Mom was kind enough to stay in the rooms with him while we went out to the hotel "nightclub". Of course  I was ready for bed by 11pm!

It was a great trip and I was truly sad to see it end, I literally had tears in my eyes as we were on our way to the airport. At least I know we'll be there again sometime in the future...I just don't know when.


No comments:

Post a Comment