Friday, December 03, 2010

What's up??

So Thanksgiving has come and gone. Now the mad dash for Christmas shopping begins...actually I think it began before Thanksgiving!

I did get our Christmas tree up and wrapped a few presents I bought over the weekend. Other than that, that is all I have done as far as Christmas decorating besides redecorating the same section of the tree over and over because Bryce likes to undecorate it.

For this semster of school I've got a project to finish and 2 finals to take then I'm done for a few weeks. I'm looking forward to not having to spend my free time after Bryce goes to bed doing homework.

Since Bryce's first birthday we have taken away the bottles, we're all sippy cups now. His last bottle was Thanksgiving night before bed. Fortunately he didn't even notice. A while ago he quit falling asleep with a bottle, so it was actually a pretty easy transition. The transition from formula to whole cow's has gone really well as well. I was trying to finish up the rest of the formula we had but he seems to spit up or throw up every time he has formula, so I guess I'll just toss it. Next to conquer... the binky addiction!

Bryce had his 1 year check-up on Monday. Nic volunteered to take him, so I wouldn't have to take off from my new job. I felt kind of guilty that I wouldn't be there to comfort him after his shots, but I was glad I didn't have to see the monstrous tantrum he threw after the shots.  Bryce weighed 21 lbs and 15 oz (21%), was 29 1/2 inches long (31%), and lets just say his head circumfrence is in the 78th percentile. : )

Dr Rossman encouraged us to pretty much just let him cry it out at night.  She said to shut the door and turn the monitor off.  She promised he would still love his Mommy in the morning. I really didn't want to ever do it, but I guess I had to as a last resort. 

Getting him down, once we got back in our routine, has been pretty easy. I lay him wide awake in his crib, and press the 'belly' of his sea horse. He settles in and falls asleep in 10-20 minutes. One habit I'd like to break is that I stay in the room until he falls asleep, but that will come in time.

So I decided Tuesday night I would try it, I would turn the volume on the monitor...I cant't make myself turn it all the way off, I think I deserve a little punishment. That night I was able to hold off from going in his room until 3am.

Wednesday night I was able to refrain from going in his room at all until after I had showered in the morning. So we made it an entire night.

Last night was the best night of sleep that either Bryce or I have had since he was born! I'm not including Nic since he stays at the fire station 1 out of every 3 nights, so he's had ample opportunities for an entire night's sleep. Bryce was asleep by 8:20 last night, he fussed a little just before 10pm. Then I didn't hear a peep out of him until 5am!!! He got up for the day around 6:30am. SUCCESS!!!! Let's hope tonight is just as good if not better!

My job has been going well, I've got so much to do that the days fly by. What's even better is I have my schedule worked out where I get off at 1:30pm on Fridays!! My company is very charitable and I guess every year they "adopt" families for Christmas and the floors are assigned gifts to purchase for these families. This year instead of several small families our company is adopting a few large families.

The family that my floor shares with a couple of other floors is a family of 7, mom and 6 kids!!!! I cannot even imagine. If being a single mom isn't challenging enough, the youngest who is a 1 year old girl, also has spina bifida.

Near our elevators there were little mittens and hats to choose with gifts listed on them. My floor was assigned to purchase gifts for the 1 year old girl and the 2 year old boy. So the gift I chose was the purchase "2 or more shirts" for the 1 year old girl. I'm always the personal that usually buys gifts based on the needs before the wants. I wanted to go ahead and get the pants hat/mitten too, but I thought I'd allow others the opportunity to buy for them as well. If there's any gifts left over to buy as the deadline approaches, I'll grab another.

I feel very fortunate that Nic and I can provide whatever Bryce needs and even wants,  and still be able to help out those less fortunate.

I'll post pictures later!

No comments:

Post a Comment